Book Study: Worksheets Don't Grow Dendrites: Chapter 4

Oh goodness....I thought I was doing good, and then I went to link up and BAM! I'm behind....I looked at the schedule wrong. So here is my very quick, and very late take on Chapter 4: Games!!

"The need for survival, belonging and love, power, freedom, and fun are the five critical needs that must be satisfied if people are to be effectively motivated," (Glasser, 1999)

Motivation...one of the most important things, in my opinion, that we can give our students. If we cannot motivate them to want to do their best, then we are never going to be able to reach their full potential. What better way to motivate kids than by playing games?!! Kids love to play, and I love to indulge them. My games are usually pretty simple in my room, sometimes I come up with them off the top of my head.

One of my kid's favorite games is a very easy sight word game that I made up one day after a few of my kid's were completely stuck on about 4 words. I call it Pass A Word. I gave them all a sight word card, and they all had to read their word card, then, we sang.

Pass, pass, pass your word. Pass it to a friend..... {tune: row row row your boat}

Then their pass their cards to the person next to them, and they all have to read their new card.You keep going until all the kids have had every card. Y'all. The asked for this game every day in small groups. (I can't find my pictures right now, but I will update this post ASAP.Sorry!!)

I'm so excited to read y'alls posts and file away some new game ideas! Tonight I'm linking up with Katie at Queen of the First Grade Jungle!! 

Comments

  1. I've so been there. I hate it when I think I'm caught up with something and then realize I'm not. Opps. It happens to all of us though.

    It sounds like your students are enjoying your simple vocabulary game. Isn't it great when your kids are engaged with something that is so simple?

    ✿April✿
    Grade School Giggles

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Science of Reading...Where I'm At

Time To Write

Work It Wednesday!