Worksheets Don't Grow Dendrites: Chapters 1 & 2

I was quite inspired by the girls that went to the Ron Clark Academy, and blogged about their experience. I'm so thankful that they did. Their experiences gave me the last little kick in the pants that I needed to finish this school year strong. Anyway, I decided to join in their book study. There is nothing more exciting, or inspiring for me than teachers discussing and learning from each other. I teach at a small school where there is only 1 teacher per grade level usually and I miss having a team that is all on the same grade level. That is what I love most about teacher blogs, the sense of community and having a "team". I got my book a little late, and we were out of school all last week because of snow, except Friday, so I haven't had time to implement anything from the book yet, but I'm going to next week. :) So let's get into it, shall we??


Chapter 1: Brainstorming and Discussion

This chapter was all about talking. More specifically, the IMPORTANCE of talking. I love that this book started this way. I've seen some QUIET classrooms. Too quiet. In fact when I first started teaching I was convinced that no one would think I was a good teacher because all of the other teachers had silent classrooms, while my 3rd graders were bustling. One teacher always popped her head in my room the same time every day. And she always, ALWAYS, said, "It's pretty noisy in here don't you think? I could never work with this much noise." However, she came in every day when my literature circles were in full swing. They were discussing. I, being super new and not wanting anything said that could get me in trouble, started shushing my kids far too much. I had a great group that year, and I tried to conform to the school. It was my first year, and I made a lot of mistakes, but this was a big one. Because, I didn't stay true to myself as a teacher, and I didn't trust myself. 

Skip on 5 years down the road, and I care a lot less about what other teachers in the building think about me. I moved districts, and while there are still a lot of teachers that think a quiet room is the right kind of room I'm able to do what works for me and my kids. And talking is one of them. 

Some things that were mentioned in the book that I do already are Think-Pair-Share, I plan my essential questions for each lesson around Bloom's to make sure that I hit those higher order thinking skills, and I use A LOT of wait time. We think-pair-share about everything, especially in math. I also use this strategy a lot during my content time. I teach kindergarten now, and I'm so impressed with how far my kids have come with this strategy, and I know it's only because I model, model, model, and then they have practiced all year. Practice makes perfect for sure! Or as close to perfect as it gets ;). My principal actually requires that we use Bloom's and writes down the level in our lesson plans. At first I hated it, but now I love it because it really helps me focus in on what I want my students to know, and how to hit those higher order thinking skills. And, I use a lot of wait time. So much that it's almost uncomfortable, but it works. I had a peer review and the teacher wrote down how she thought I had too much wait time, but then she was surprised when what seemed like a terribly long time the student would come up with the right answer, and she realized it wasn't really too much time.  One thing that I do want to try is more debate. I think that would be so awesome, and I'm going to work on it with my kids the rest of the year. :)Whew, on to Chapter 2....




Chapter 2: Drawing and Art

I just wanted to shout "AMEN!" at the end of every sentence. Art is so so important, and I hate that it is being taken out of some school districts. I actually am no longer allowed to buy art supplies with my teacher supply money that we are given at the beginning of the year. That was new this year, and I was heartbroken because I always bought some new art supplies every year. So everything we do now comes out of my pocket. Art is not looked at as "quality instructional time" in my district either. Which just means that I really have to be able to justify every craft we do in case I'm ever questioned about it. Luckily, I haven't been this year, but I'm always ready just in case. My principal is actually fairly cool about projects and things as long as they are in our lesson plans. However, he doesn't make the policies regarding our supply money, and if our superintendent ever checked in I better be ready to explain everything on my walls. 

Some things that I already do that were mentioned in the chapter are that I have the students illustrate vocabulary, poetry, and in their math journals. We also do a lot of craftivities, mainly focused on literacy. Some new things that I would like to try are the murals, and incorporating more art into math. There are more things out there for math than illustrating math journals :). I'm just going to have to find/come up with them myself. :)

The most important thing from this chapter to me was that art is important. It can't be done away with. It gives kids a new way to look at things, boosts their self-esteem, fosters their creativity, and provides an outlet for kids no matter the level of their artistic ability, and it engages students in your lessons and makes them own it. :)

So far I am really enjoying this book, and I look forward to reading the next chapter! :) I'll also have pictures next time, pending us actually being in school. I heard there is more sleet coming our way     :(....

Comments

  1. I totally agree with the way the book started - talking is, like, THE most important thing we can let our students do - yet it seems we let them do less and less of it {at least I feel like I sometimes do}. It's all about the time constraints and I just need to get over that...I will never get through everything I want to in any given day - even with limiting the amount that they talk...so why not just let them TALK!?!? I've gotten better at it over the years...but sometimes I fall back into old habits.

    Loved reading your post!

    Holly
    Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I hate how art is being reduced. Creativity is an essential job skill in many industries. Plus, it really engages a lot of students. It's great that you are working it into your classroom, but it stinks that you have to pay for all of it.
    ✿April✿
    Grade School Giggles

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Science of Reading...Where I'm At

Time To Write

Work It Wednesday!